Prosthodontists, like the ones at Central New England Dental Associates, can provide patients with gorgeous, great-fitting traditional dentures. These dentures can dramatically change the lives of people who would otherwise have deteriorating teeth or no teeth. Although patients see massive improvements in quality of life with traditional dentures, increasingly, people are choosing to get implant-supported (hybrid) dentures or transition to implant supported dentures if they already have a traditional one. Here are eight reasons why patients are making the transition to implant-supported dentures:
- Bone Loss after Extraction: When teeth are extracted, the bone that once supported the teeth eventually starts getting absorbed into the body in a process called resorption. Over time, this can lead to changes in the shape of the jawbone, which can affect the fit of traditional dentures. Implant-supported dentures can help prevent this bone loss by stimulating the jawbone, thus preventing the bone loss while also providing the necessary support for the denture.
- Improved Stability: Traditional dentures can be less stable, especially in the lower teeth. Implant-supported dentures, on the other hand, are anchored in the jawbone, providing a more stable foundation for the denture. This can improve the overall stability and functionality of the denture.
- No Need to Soak Dentures: Traditional dentures require regular soaking in cleaning solution in order to remove bacteria as well as prevent staining and warping. With implant-supported dentures, there is no need to remove the denture for cleaning, as it is fixed in the mouth and constantly exposed to saliva.
- No More Sore Spots or Infections: Traditional dentures can cause sore spots or infections due to friction of the gums with the denture. With implant-supported dentures, the denture is securely fixed on top of dental implants instead of the gums themselves, reducing the risk of sore spots or infections.
- More Freedom in Eating: With implant-supported dentures, individuals have more freedom in how or what they eat. They can take larger bites, eat sticky foods that require more stability, and eat foods that might otherwise get crumbs trapped under the denture. This can significantly improve the overall eating experience.
- No More Denture Relining Appointments: Traditional dentures require regular adjustments to ensure a proper fit as the mouth changes or as the patient adjusts to having the bulky dentures in their mouth. With implant-supported dentures, there is no need for relining appointments, since the denture is secured on top of dental implants and doesn’t need to fit the shape of the gums.
- No More Food Getting Caught Underneath the Denture: Traditional dentures can sometimes trap food underneath, causing discomfort. This can be an even bigger pain if a denture adhesive is used and the dentures are harder to remove and clean. Since implant-supported dentures are less bulky and there are no empty spaces for food to get trapped in, this is no longer an issue.
- No Fear of Losing or Breaking Dentures: One of the most common fears of traditional denture wearers is losing or breaking their dentures and having to go without. Whether it’s misplacing them, or having them dropped, or damaged by pets, there are multiple ways for someone to lose their dentures. With implant-supported dentures, individuals can have peace of mind knowing that their dentures are located securely inside their mouth.
If you are in need of dentures or are looking to transition to implant-supported dentures, the prosthodontist at Central New England Dental Associates would be very happy to help you achieve your dental goals. The dental office is located in Auburn, just minutes from Worcester, making it convenient for anyone in Worcester that need good looking implant-supported dentures. Don’t hesitate to book your denture consultation today.